Assurance, reliability and superior brand experience in every segment have always been the key focus areas for Tata Steel's brand building endeavours.
Tata Steel’s operating strategy takes into account current realities of the marketplace and enhancement of customer satisfaction and relationships with existing clients.
- Product and market strategies have been devised to have a leadership edge on the Automotive and Construction sectors.
- The Company has built capabilities to serve large number of SMEs (Small & Medium Enterprises) who are engaged in providing services in the steel value chain.
- Tata Steel has made inroads on branding of steel and thus has products and services offerings for its customers, distributed through its channel network.
- With the commencement of operations at Kalinganagar and Jamshedpur Continuous Annealing & Processing Company Private Limited (JCAPCPL), segments hitherto untapped will also get served.
Retaining the Decisive Competitive Edge (DCE):
- Since Tata Steel operates in B2B, B2SME and B2C markets, different vehicles to capture the needs of customers have been deployed. IT platforms are extensively used and extended sales force of channel partners act as learning posts that help in creating differentiated value propositions.
- New Product Development has been one of the focus areas to be able to extract an appropriate product from the new production capacities.
- Tata Steel has been working on developing and implementing a structured approach to innovation called “INNOVENT” which is centred on bringing solutions/service offerings to the chosen market segments.
- From 2010 onwards, the channel partners have graduated to become service / solution providers (e.g. TISCON Readybuild solutions, Roof Junction initiative for roofing solutions etc.), thus staying differentiated with regard to competition.
New initiatives undertaken to improve customer service in every market segment:
- Tata Steel had implemented Vehicle Tracking system (VTS) way back in 2002. In line with the Company’s endeavour to improve customer service, approx 1600 Global Positioning System (GPS) mounted vehicles have been deployed by transport partners of material movement across the Country. This is the largest implementation of GPS enabled fleet in the steel industry.
- To bring about improvement in delivery reliability, a billboard has been created and uploaded on CSD webpage to track vehicles on-line, again a first in the Indian Steel industry.
- Major drive has been taken to reduce service claims through development of desired infrastructure at Hubs/Stock yards and deployment of specialised vehicles.
- In order to create service differentiation, an auto compliant hub has been developed at Chennai. Fleet of special vehicles has further been augmented to deliver damage free skin panels.
- Standard operating procedures for receipt, storage, handling and delivery of steel materials at all stock points have been implemented.
- Tata Steel has created transport parks in Jamshedpur to ease out traffic flow and educate all drivers on safety and health concerns. As a CSR initiative approximately 2000 drivers undergo medical check-up at our facilities every month.
- The Company expanded its marketing efforts to sectors such as Lifting & Excavation, Railways, Ship building and Defence.
- "Tata Astrum", the recent addition to the Company's branded portfolio was developed to penetrate the SME market, earlier serviced by opportunistic brokers.