Tata Steel is committed to ensuring that the quality of life of the relocated people in the Parivar colonies is better in their new settlement than before.
Tata Steel ensures that people who have been relocated find a better quality of life in the Parivar colonies than what they were accustomed to earlier. It has developed three rehabilitation and resettlement colonies as well as five transit camps at Kalinganagar to ensure that relocated families do not face any inconvenience whatsoever. Another rehabilitation and resettlement setup is being developed at Ramathenga, the location opted for by the displaced families themselves near Kalinganagar.
Sound infrastructure is developed within the colonies and the adjoining areas to enhance the sense of well-being among residing families. Developmental initiatives include improvement in educational and health infrastructure, rural connectivity, drinking water supply, electrification in villages among others.
Some of the initiatives in this direction are the following -
- The 200-bed Gobarghati hospital in the Jajpur district of Odisha caters to around 10000 people.
- Considering a request made by ‘Gayatri Mahila Samiti’, Tata Steel initiated a water treatment project at Bhimtangar village in Jajpur district. Under this scheme, the water emerging from mines is treated to be used for irrigation purposes.
- Under project ‘Pani’, a large number of tube wells were dug in Sukinda and Danagadi block during the last five years.
- Community Centres have been set up to empower the local youth.
- ‘Jaher Sthan’ - a place for organising religious and cultural functions by the tribal community - has been set up so that Tata Steel Parivar members can continue their own cultural traditions and participate in that of others. Here, festivals like Maghe Parab, Baha and Jomnama are celebrated with equal enthusiasm.
- Schools and Balwadis have been set up for children while tribal women have been trained in various income generation programmes.
- Construction of poultry sheds at various locations and Market Complex at Sukindagarh has been taken up to serve the local population.
- Setting up of electrical sub-station at Kaliapani under operation ‘BIJLI’ and subsequent electrification of Ashokjhar, a famous tourist spot by Tata Steel has enormously helped the Jajpur District.
- Numerous concrete roads have been constructed including the one connecting Tomka to Mangalpur and the road to Bhimtangar village.
Trijanga Rehabilitation Colony: A Benchmark in Modern Tribal Township
The Trijanga Rehabilitation Colony is a step forward in Tata Steel’s people-centric development policy and a commitment of its promise to provide better job, better homes, and better lives to relocated families at Kalinganagar. The Company, apart from giving 0.1 acres of homestead land and Rs.2.5 lakhs for house construction to relocated families had several rounds of discussions with them while planning for their new home at Trijanga Rehabilitation Colony. The colorful houses with dish antennas besides concrete paved roads with avenue plantation, sprawling greenery and permanent drainage system are only a reflection of Tata Steel’s dedication to usher in a better quality of life for the rehabilitated families in Trijanga.
Salient features of Trijanga Rehabilitation Colony
- A stretch of 20 Km all-weather motorable roads and 32 Km of drainage along with arrangements for solid waste and garbage management through dedicated agencies.
- The Company has provided 300 sodium vapour halogen lamps for street-lighting
- 50,000 litres of safe potable of water from running taps for Parivar members
- Provision for electricity consumption of up to 500 watts per family
- Community Centre for recreational purposes
- Round-the-clock health care facility through a dispensary and 24 hours standby ambulance services