Tata Steel runs 'Sparsh' - a disability care centre for leprosy patients in collaboration with LEPRA Society.
SPARSH is a collaborative project on disability care management undertaken by Tata Steel Rural Development Society (TSRDS) Jamadoba unit and LEPRA India. SPARSH was established with an aim to ‘Improve the quality of life of people, particularly those having disabilities, by improving their health'. A small footwear unit set up by SPARSH to manufacture Micro Cellular Rubber footwear supplies this product for those afflicted with Leprosy to the states of Jharkhand, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Assam, West Bengal and Madhya Pradesh.
SPARSH provides following facilities to people suffering from Leprosy and Lymphatic Filariasis:
- Self-care training and counselling
- Community based care, rehabilitation and support, including income generation activities
- Self-care training and counselling, Information dissemination to reduce stigma
- Setting up facilities for physiotherapy
- Reconstructive surgery
- Setting up footwear unit and distribution of protective footwear
- Socio-economic rehabilitation of cured patients
- Integrating with government schemes